Harlingen: A Leader in Health Care Industry
Valley Baptist Medical Center (VBMC)
Valley Baptist Medical Center is the primary referral hospital for comprehensive and sub-specialty care in South Texas.
Ranked one of the top 100 hospitals in the nation – and the only one south of Houston – for saving lives and reducing complications in heart patients, according to Thomson Healthcare.
This 450-bed general hospital and Level III Trauma Center Provides state-of-the-art medical, surgical, obstetric and pediatric care.
- Medical, cardiovascular, surgical, neurological and newborn/pediatric intensive care
- Air ambulance transportation
- Cardiac catheterization with interventional and electro physiology capabilities
- Active cardiovascular, general, neurosurgery, ophthalmic, orthopedic, plastic and urological surgery services
- Pulmonary and gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Outpatient multi-specialty diabetes care
- Wound care services
- Hospice care
- Rehabilitation facility providing inpatient and outpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech/language therapy
- Radiology services including CT, MRI, sonography, nuclear medicine, interventional radiology and radiation therapy
- Valley Baptist Medical and Dental Staff
Allergy/Immunology1 Pain Management3 Anesthesiology18 Pathology8 Cardiology18 Pediatrics – General27 Cardiovascular Surgery6 Pediatrics – Cardiology6 Critical Care8 Pediatrics – Critical Care11 Dermatology3 Pediatric Dentistry7 Diabetes/Endocrinology2 Pediatrics – Endocrinology1 Emergency Medicine16 Pediatrics – Genetics1 Family Practice43 Pediatric Gastroenterology1 Gastroenterology5 Pediatric Hematology/Oncology6 Genetics2 Pediatric infectious diseases2 Hospitalist – In Patient Care8 Pediatric – Neurology2 Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO)1 Pediatrics Pulmonology1 Internal Medicine84 Pediatrics – Rheumatology1 Neonatology4 Pediatric surgery11 Nephirology8 Physical Medicine and Rehab3 Neurophysiology1 Plastic Surgery1 Neurology3 Podiatry12 Neurosurgery4 Psychiatry3 OB/GYN17 Pulmonary diseases6 GYN1 Radiology16 Oncology/Hematology13 Radiation Oncology2 Ophthalmology13 Rheumatology1 Oral surgery6 Surgery – General6 Orthopedic Surgery9 Urology7 Otolaryngology (ENT)9 Dentistry8
Source: Harlingen’s Physicians Network
Harlingen Medical Center
Harlingen Medical Center is more than a hospital. It is a place where people come to heal. It is a part of the community that fosters health and represents hope.
Our dedicated physicians, nurses and staff provide not only treatment, but comfort and compassion. They make the difference in healthcare and are the reason people choose Harlingen Medical Center as their hospital of choice.
Our award-winning and nationally recognized hospital features:
- All Inpatient Private Suites
- Comprehensive Outpatient Services
- 24-Hour Emergency Room
Since opening our doors in October 2002, Harlingen Medical Center has been committed to creating the best possible experience for our patients by nurturing a culture that is focused on patient care and the creation of the HMC experience, making advanced treatment options available, and supporting the health and wellness of the communities we serve.
We know how to care for you, and your family, with a comprehensive program of clinical services.
- Bariatric (Surgical Weight Loss)
- Cardiac Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetric & Gynecology
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Sleep Apnea Treatment
- Thoracic Surgery
- Vascular & Endovascular Surgery
- Wound Healing
Harlingen Medical Center is a general acute care, Level IV Trauma hospital, located at 5501 South Expressway 77, in Harlingen, Texas.
To learn more about Harlingen Medical Center and its services and programs, log on to www.harlingenmedicalcenter.com, or contact the Department of Marketing at (956) 365-1848.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Regional Academic Health Center (RAHC)
To develop programs of excellence in medical education and research and bring the considerable educational and clinical care resources of the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio to the citizens of the Rio Grande Valley.
- An innovative multi-site academic community based in Brownsville, Harlingen and Edinburg.
- Consists of a Medical Education and a Research Division and a School of Public Health.
- Public health RAHC programs designed to address the diseases and public health issues that disproportionately afflict our region’s population.
- $25 million campus, inaugurated in 2002.
- $20 million campus, inaugurated in 2006.
- $25.5 million Teaching/Learning Lab to house the Harlingen Veterans Healthcare Center and the U.S. Hispanic Nutrition Research and Education Center, inaugurated in 2007.
- Enjoys widespread community support
- More than 250 community-based practitioners have been qualified as clinical faculty of the RAHC
- 3 classes have graduated from the ACGME accredited Internal Medicine Program.
- Recent Internal Medicine resident graduates have a 100% pass rate
- 75% of recent Internal Medicine graduates reside in the Rio Grande Valley.
- 70% of recent Internal Medicine graduates are bilingual.
- Over 400 medical students have completed at least one clinical rotation at the RAHC.
- RAHC rotations are highly regarded by UTHSCSA faculty and students.
Producing Doctors for the Rio Grande Valley
- 2002 – 2003: 8 Residents
- 2003 – 2004: 12 Residents, 4 Graduates
- 2004 – 2005: 13 Residents, 1 Chief Resident, 4 Graduates
- 2005 – 2006: 15 Residents, 1 Chief Resident, 4 Graduates
- 2006 – 2007: 16 Residents, 5 graduates
- 1 Graduate currently practices Internal Medicine in the Rio Grande Valley
- 3 Graduates currently practice Family/Community Medicine
South Texas VA Health Care Center At Harlingen (STVHCS)
- A satellite outpatient clinic of The Department of Veterans Affairs
- Provides ambulatory/primary care services to veterans.
- 34,000 square foot facility opened Nov. 19, 2007
- 47 full- or part-time medial professionals.
- VA Outpatient Clinic offers primary care, mental health, social work, optometry, nutrition, emergency care and short stay admissions.
New services available at the new center include: audiology, dental, physical therapy, orthotics, podiatry, spinal cord injury care, mental health (including PTSD treatment) minor procedures, pharmacy, laboratory, digital X-ray, CT scan, diabetic retinal imaging and pulmonary function testing.
Su Clinica Familiar
Su Clinica Familia is the primary ambulatory medicine site, a JCAHO-accredited community health center providing longitudinal care for primarily indigent residents of the Lower Rio Grande Valley. Su Clinica Familiar has convenient on-site radiology, laboratory and pharmacy services.
Valley Diagnostic Center
Valley Diagnostic Center is a group practice of sub-specialists and general internists housed in a modern office center with on-site laboratory and radiology services located next to Valley Baptist Medical Center.
South Texas Emergency Care Foundation/Valley AirCare
- Valley AirCare began on Feb. 1, 1995
- Has transported more that 4,900 citizens of South Texas and Northern Mexico since its inception.
- For long distance flights, Valley AirCare employs a fleet of medically configured, pressurized and non-pressurized piston, and jet aircraft, including a Learjet capable of flying at more than 500 mph.
- Member of the Association of Air Medical Services (AAMS), Texas AAMS, and other national and state organizations.
- Community-owned, not-for-profit organization
- Governed by a board of directors selected from the communities who are members of the organization.
The Foundation is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems. The Foundation is the only CAMTS accredited EMS system south of San Antonio. Accreditation is important for the patients as it shows that the Foundation maintains the highest level of patient care and safety. There are only 111 CAMTS accredited programs in the US and Canada.
Air and ground services provided to
- La Feria
- Los Fresnos
- Palm Valley
- Port Isabel
- Rio Hondo
- San Benito
- Santa Rosa
- Rancho Viejo
- South Padre Island.
Service is also provided to the counties of Cameron, Hidalgo and Willacy, as well as the unincorporated areas of other counties in South Texas. Fixed wing services are provided nationwide and to Mexico and Canada.
- Offers rapid air medical transportation by helicopter throughout South Texas within 150 mile radius of Harlingen, its home base.
- Equipped and licensed at the Mobile Intensive Care Unit level by the Texas Department of Health.
- Available on request for inter-facility transfer of critically ill and intensive care patients.
- The American Eurocopter AS350 BA helicopter has a cruising speed of more than 130 mph with a moving map system using satellite
Fixed Wing Division
- Provides air medical services to and from the Rio Grande Valley to any point in the Continental United States, Mexico and Canada.
- Especially useful for patients who must be flown long distances to receive specialized care such as at burn centers like Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) in San Antonio or Galveston’s UTMB.
- Provides rapid air evacuation to Valley hospitals for citizens and visitors to Mexico who become ill or injured.
- Flies into Mexico using jets and turboprop aircraft and brings the critically ill and injured to hospitals in the United States.
- Licensed by the Texas Department of Health as mobile intensive care units.
- CAMTS accreditation and flight medical credentials meet or exceed all requirements of the air medical industry
- Committed to providing the highest level of patient care.
The Foundation is committed to provide the best possible ground transportation to its community and citizens. The Ground Division consists of the most technological advanced equipment and modern fleet, combined with a staff of highly trained, dedicated professionals making STEC on of the top EMS services in the State of Texas.
911 Ambulance Services
A fleet of ambulances is strategically located in the area to facilitate efficient response times to the communities and the vast rural area served by the Foundation. 911 emergency transportation services are provided by contract with local cities and Cameron County. Over the past 25 years, the ground ambulances have responded to more than 227,000 calls for help.
Non-emergency Ambulance Services
Scheduled non-emergency ambulance transportation is provided to hospitals, nursing homes, patients at home and other facilities. Many patients need medical attention and transportation to and from medical facilities even though their condition may not require emergency response. While most patient transfers are in the local area, some are made to destinations outside of the Valley to distant parts of the State.
Critical Care Transport
Critical care transportation is designed to transport patients with specialized needs, usually from one medical facility to another on an emergency basis. These patients are typically in an emergency care unit such as Intensive Care at a Valley hospital. When it is necessary to move these patients to another facility, a specialized team must be sent. The team, which is composed of a Critical Care Registered Nurse, a Paramedic and an Emergency Medical Technician (if needed), responds in a specially equipped vehicle. The patient is then transported to the destination hospital.