Harlingen Enterprise Zone
Texas Business Incentives
The City of Harlingen, pursuant to the Texas Enterprise Zone Act, has designated an Enterprise Zone, which may provide the following incentives:
- For areas of the Enterprise Zone which are outside city limits, non-annexation agreements for up to 7 years are available whereby the city ensures that the company site will not be annexed into City thus precluding any personal or real property taxes from being levied for that period. Payments in lieu of taxes may be made for City services such as fire and police protection, etc.
- Company may be nominated by City for designation of an Enterprise Zone project which provides a rebate of state sales tax relative to sales tax paid and jobs created. Detailed information should be requested for nomination eligibility.
- All applications for state and federal funds on behalf of company will be prioritized and expedited by City.
- Streamlined Zoning and Permitting are provided within City Limits.
- Ombudsman service to streamline compliance with City and County requirements will be provided.
- Low interest financing may be made available through the Community Development Industrial Loan Program.
- Promotion will be provided for businesses in the Zone by the Harlingen Area Chamber of Commerce.
- For areas of the Enterprise Zone which are outside city limits, in-city sewer and water rates may be negotiated.
- Tax Abatement: Cameron County
- Abatement of real property taxes is available for qualified enterprise zone businesses (5-year designation) in Cameron County for areas within the zone outside city limits.
- To qualify for tax abatement, a business, whether a sole proprietor, a partnership, or a corporation, must meet the criteria as established in Cameron County Resolution.